Overalls on the Senate Floor: A True Crime

 This past month Missouri senator Mike Moon was punished for wearing overalls on the senate floor. While this might not seem like a true fashion issue, it really is. Before we get into the fashion, Moon is not one to shy away from controversy. In the past he videotaped himself gutting a chicken to prove a political point, and filibustered to stop administrative tasks from moving forward.

Mike Moon in his Overall "Suit"

So let's look at the fashion. This past month Moon wore overalls while in a heated debate within the Republican caucus over rezoning. While there is no formal rule related to dress code, it is expected that senators dress professionally, and apparently overalls don't fit the bill. As a punishment he was removed from a number of committees, which are used to influence legislation, until he apologizes for what he did. Moon's response was that he did not violate any rule, and that removing him from the committees was more than just limiting one voice, but the voice of thousands.

So, who really cares about the politics, what is incredible about this story is that someone in the senate wore overalls on the senate floor. It takes someone with true confidence, or lack of care to pull something like that. In my opinion, instead of punishing him, the senate should have celebrated that someone was willing to wear something other than a stuffy poor fitting suit. What I hope comes from this is that Moon becomes a fashion icon, and we see more fun outfits on the senate floor.

For me, overalls are a staple in the fashion world, and a good pair should be in everyone's closet. As a kid, my favorite outfit was my blue overalls with tan work boots, and still to this day they are some of my favorite pieces. Now I have a few pair, some classic blue denim, black workwear from Dickies, and a bright red Nike pair. While they are not an everyday wear, especially in Florida, they make a great piece for special occasions. 

Overall(s), politics aside, the senate should not punish Mike Moon. Along with having a great name, he is willing to push the boundary of professional fashion, whether he knows it or not. By wearing overalls on the senate floor, Moon should have made fashion headlines, and hopefully we see his clothing antics again in the future.

Comments

  1. Agreed. He should not be punished! I love the "overall(s)" lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish he was able to go unpunished. He had to end his protest, and apologize, which is unfortunate.

      Delete
  2. I hadn't worn overalls since probably before I was five. So for anyone at any age able to wear them, they must have confidence! No shame in his fashion game, much respect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't worn overalls since probably before I was five. So for anyone at any age able to wear them, they must have confidence! No shame in his fashion game, much respect. - Cassie Meagher (not sure why my previous comment says unknown when I'm signed in)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His confidence must be sky high, especially to be wearing them in a place like the senate.

      Delete
  4. This article took an unexpected turn when you said, "overalls are a staple in the fashion world." I'll keep that in mind as I update my wardrobe over the summer! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if others will agree with me on that statement, but they have certainly been one of my favorite things to wear since I was a kid. Definitely not an everyday item but great when you want to mix it up.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nigo: Kenzo's New Man

Haute Couture: Fashion's Exclusive Club

Fast Fashion: Killing the Environment, One Shirt at a Time