My Fashion Journey: An Introduction to Crime of Fashion

 


Hello Everyone!

As long as I can remember I have been drawn to clothing. Growing up, I was one of few people who I knew that cared about what they wore, not in a sense of what brands I had on, but whether or not what I had on matched. At the time, I was concerned about looking put together and presentable, because it made me feel more comfortable. Other boys my age simply wore what I would describe as “whatever was on top”, meaning they simply grabbed the first items they say in their drawer and left for school. Then, and still, I couldn’t understand why people did this, and I always prided myself on looking like I cared. 

Now fashion is beginning to consume me. What was once simply about styling myself and others has become an obsessive pursuit of information and exploration of what the fashion industry is, and what it can become. For so long, my free time was spent watching sports and playing video games, however now I find myself watching runway shows, and getting excited about different designers, like I would for my favorite athletes. I find myself cheering them on during their shows, as if they were my favorite team on the brink of winning a championship.

Kim Jones, Artistic Director Dior Menswear, Fendi Womenswear and Couture
Kim Jones, Artistic Director, Fendi Womenswear and Couture, Dior Menswear

So, what are we doing here?

Well, this blog is going to be a continuation of my journey into the fashion industry, that I hope to share with you. I will be looking to showcase some of my favorite designers, and shows, as well as those that I am not so fond of. This past season, I really enjoyed Kim Jones' Fendi spring ready-to-wear collection. I can't seem to put a finger on why, maybe it was his model selection, or the use of Antonio López's illustrations, but I still can't seem to get it off my mind.

Rayssa Medeiro, Fendi Spring Ready-to-Wear 2022

I also want to discuss my views on the industry as a whole, and how I feel it can move forward in the future. One of the areas I am most interested in is sustainability. Being one of the world's most polluting industries, it is going to be important for fashion companies to start to make the change to a more sustainable process, as society increases its importance on helping our environment. I hope to discuss that topic, as it is an area I am looking to make an impact in, in the future. 


So, see you next time, as we gear up for New York Fashion Week!


Comments

  1. Ben, what a great and interesting blog, you had me intrigued from the start. I too am just like you, growing up I never cared about the brands I wore, I just cared about having my own sense of fashion that I thought looked good and clean. I also watch shows about fashion and clothing lines on my free time to stay updated with what is going on in the fashion world. Fashion is a great way for people to express themselves and I believe that it is a great idea to look into sustainable fashion or clothing. In todays society, everyone should be concerned for sustainability, I am very excited to see what you post next, as well as what show recommendations you have in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. .
    Ben, what a great and interesting blog, you had me intrigued from the start. I too am just like you, growing up I never cared about the brands I wore, I just cared about having my own sense of fashion that I thought looked good and clean. I also watch shows about fashion and clothing lines on my free time to stay updated with what is going on in the fashion world. Fashion is a great way for people to express themselves and I believe that it is a great idea to look into sustainable fashion or clothing. In todays society, everyone should be concerned for sustainability, I am very excited to see what you post next, as well as what show recommendations you have in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to hear from other fashion enthusiasts! I agree that it is a great way to express yourself. It allows us to show people our creativity, and show people how we are feeling.

      Delete
  3. Hey Ben! I have also had a passion for fashion since before I can remember. I can't wait to read more from your blog! So exciting to see that you are using it to make a contribution to the fashion industry! I'm glad you brought up sustainability too! It's so important to address, especially with the increase of fast fashion in recent years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sustainability is becoming a huge thing now. I think that with the emergence of social media trends are changing faster than ever, which leads to more waste than ever before. I hope the industry is able to accommodate this by using more sustainable production methods to help eliminate pollution.

      Delete
  4. Fashion is interesting, but way too much for me to keep up with. Do you think you will pursue a career in this area? You certainly seem to have the passion and knowledge needed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely want to work in the industry. I am ver interested in working for one of the major houses in a marketing role.

      Delete
  5. I wish I was good at keeping up with fashion! I find it so interesting but never know where to start. I can't wait to keep up with your posts. I really like the sustainability aspect that you mentioned as I think that is extremely important. Do you often shop fast fashion or have you steered away from it since focusing more on sustainability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you that it is hard to know where to start. For me, I started with one designer that I really liked, and started looking into their history, and eventually expanded to others. I tend to try and avoid fast fashion if I can. Most of my stuff now is second hand from eBay or thrift stores. I've also started to make my own cloths. I have been taking old cloths that don't fit and using their fabric to either make something new, or fix cloths that need repair.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nigo: Kenzo's New Man

Haute Couture: Fashion's Exclusive Club

Fast Fashion: Killing the Environment, One Shirt at a Time